If you lose a testicle or testicles, as a result of testicular cancer you may want to consider testicle implants. But, as with everything, there are pros and cons to testicle implants. For most men who have testicular cancer, the main treatment is the removal of the affected testicle. Although this procedure usually keeps the scrotal sac intact and looking about the same on the outside, a testicle implant could restore a more natural look.
What are the benefits of testicle implants?
Testicle implants aren’t for everyone, and as with most everything, there are pros and cons associated with testicle implants. The benefits of getting a testicle implant include:
- From the outside, the scrotum will appear the same as before.
- Most patients who have a testicle implant say it makes them feel better about themselves
- It’s relatively easy to remove if there are any problems
- The implant is available in sizes from extra small to large, so it can be matched to the other testicle
- Surgery to place the testicle implant can be done in an outpatient setting, in about an hour, and the patient can usually go home the same day. Recovery takes only a few days.
What are the risks of testicle implants?
- While the outside appearance may be the same, the actual feel of the current, saline-filled implant is usually harder and less malleable than a natural testicle.
- You may not like how the implant looks. In one study, 23% of patients said they were dissatisfied with the testicle implant’s position or shape.
- The testicle implant is merely cosmetic, so it won’t produce sperm or testosterone.
- If a developing adolescent receives an implant, he may need to have it replaced with a larger prosthesis at some point, so another surgery will be needed.
- There are complications. The implant could stick out, move around, hurt, swell, bleed, or scar on both the outside and inside.
- As with any surgery, there are risks associated with anaesthesia, which should be fully discussed beforehand.
If testicle replacement surgery is something you are interested in, then give us a call on 0330 808 1968 to book a consultation to see one of our Urologists.