A buried penis can be difficult to treat. The treatment usually depends on the underlying cause. If buried penis occurs in adult men or does not resolve on its own in children, surgery may be needed. Each situation is different so there is no one surgical technique that applies to every case. However, types of surgery include:
- Removing scar tissue
- Detaching the ligament that attaches the base of the penis to the pubic bone
- Suction lipectomy, or the removal of fat cells using surgical suction catheters inserted through tiny incisions
- Abdominoplasty, a procedure to remove excess fat and skin from the abdominal area; also called a “tummy tuck”
- Panniculectomy, or the removal of the pannus
- Escutheonectomy, or the removal of the fat pad above the pubic area
- Skin grafts to cover areas of the penis where skin coverage is lacking
Buried penis may also be treated with:
- Medications: A doctor prescribes drugs if the buried penis has caused an infection in the genital region.
- Weight loss: Obese patients usually are encouraged to lose weight before having surgery. Although weight loss alone is not likely to solve the problem, it can make complications during and after surgery less likely. Weight loss and nutritional counselling can help patients before and after surgery.
- Psychological counselling: Mental health professionals may address issues such as depression, sexual dysfunction, and low self-esteem.
Successful surgery can make a profound difference in the life of a person living with a buried penis. Problems with urination and sexual function are often eliminated. If skin grafts are needed, a period of several weeks is all that is usually needed for the appearance of the penis to recover.
Once the condition has been treated, it’s unlikely to return in any form. If obesity or other manageable condition was a factor, it will be important to maintain a healthy weight and good health after surgery. You should also discuss proper genital hygiene with your doctor, as well as possible signs of complications or side effects from your treatment.
Pubic lift surgery is the best treatment available that can fix a buried penis. Contact us to book a consultation.